Sunday, October 10, 2010

FAQs

What is Glucoamylase Deficiency?

The best answer is really here (the official, wordy answer). But basically it means that the person lacks the enzyme that breaks down starch. That person is "starch intolerant", but the symptoms can be very severe, and starch needs to be eliminated from the diet.

Most people are familiar with lactose intolerance- the person is missing the enzyme that breaks down the milk sugar Lactose. Once the person develops it, it's a life long problem. The only "cure" is to avoid diary products, or to take an enzyme replacement like Lactaid. The missing starch enzyme works kind of the same way, but the symptoms are usually much more than just than the tummy ache that one would get from lactose intolerance.

A similar enzyme deficiency is Sucrase-Isomaltase deficiency. This is not the disorder that my kiddo has, but they are similar conditions. I try to address the need to eliminate sucrose for these kiddos in many of my recipes, just because I know how tough these diets can be.

What kinds of recipes do you have?

All kinds. My main focus is on creating starch free baked goods, both sweet and savory. However, there is a pretty wide variety of recipes that I post.

What does "starch free" or "low starch" mean?

For the purposes of this blog, I define "low starch" to mean less than 10 grams of starch per serving. I define "starch free" to mean less than 1 gram of starch per serving, unless there is known starch from added flour in the recipe. I usually state how much starch per serving is in the recipe so you can make informed choices.

How do you figure out what the starch content is?

My main resource is Nutrition Data. Keep in mind that the starch content can vary slightly depending on measuring variances, serving sizes, and because most of these ingredients are natural foods. A medium apple has 2 grams of starch, but if you were to misjudge it and decide that your large apple was actually a medium one the amount of starch you'd consume would be slightly more. Also, most fruits and vegetables naturally convert their sugars to starches during storage, so older apples will have a higher starch content than their freshly-picked counterparts (and this goes for the rest of the fruits and vegetables you'll see here). I try to give you as much information possible regarding starch content, and you can help keep the starch numbers low by using the freshest produce available.

Can I request a recipe?

Sure. Simply Contact Me and let me know what you'd like to see. I'll do my best.

This is a cooking blog. Why aren't there a million pictures like some blogs have?

There are several reasons for this. First, it makes it easier for people who subscribe to the blog to read.

Second, the majority of these recipes aren't nouveau French cuisine. Most people know what a muffin or a cupcake looks like, after all. I know how to "add next three ingredients to mixing bowl", and I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of other cooks out there do too. We don't need a picture to show us how.

For that reason, I personally dislike having to scroll through photo tutorials with a lot of unnecessary pictures. I'll add pictures when it's necessary or helpful, but my posts will not (generally) be full of photos.

I love these recipes! Can I share them?

Sure, I'd love for you to share these recipes! However, these are all my own recipes, not things I've cobbled together from the internet. So if you share them, please just share the blog link and do not copy/paste or otherwise post them.

No comments:

Post a Comment