Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Back to Our Regularly Scheduled Program

My son, the reason for this blog, was "diagnosed" with some food allergies last fall. No nuts, no corn (now including syrup and sugar), no fin fish, no shell fish, in addition to all the "No"s he already had. Well, that was great. Just hunky dory. And it was also fantastic timing, given that it was right before Halloween and Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Ironically, he was pretty much left with fruit, veg, and meat. The title of this blog also became his menu for a while (figuratively, at least). To be honest, it was more than a little disheartening. I was looking at his previous restrictions as a challenge, but this seemed insurmountable. After all, there is only so much that one can do to a Brussels sprout or a carrot stick.

I didn't really cook much for a month, forget about inventiveness. Most of the recipes here had already been created, but when I ran out of them I really lacked the motivation to create anything new. Thus, this poor blog has been a little bit lacking for the last few weeks.


However.....

Last week I came up with my first new recipe in a long time (which I will post shortly) and even better, we got some good news. It appears that the "no nuts" ban will be lifted(it looks like it might have been a false positive). It is my hope that it will be, and he will get nuts back, and I will be able to create some yummy new things once I have something, anything to work with.

In the meantime, go buy some mascapone cheese and some strawberries. I have some yummy almost-starch-free crepes to tell you about.

No comments:

Post a Comment