Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Just slightly addictive

So I've been on a bit of a popsicle kick lately.  I've made Strawberry-Orange-Banana, Strawberry-Limeade, Triple Berry, Orangey Orange, and a few others.  They've all been good, and the Orangey Orange was Really Good, but none have been OMG Good.

well, until now.

But wait, you say... isn't this a strach free blog?  Unless they secretly add potatoes to my Flav-Or-Ice, isn't it all starch free??

Yes, but unfortunately many of the commercial popsicles have artificial-everything, and they often have maltose are part of their sweetener blends.  So I've been making popsicles for a couple of years to avoid the maltose. 

As an added twist, one of my other sons was diagnosed with type-1 diabetes about a month ago (as of this writing) and now either my popsicles need to be sugar free too*, or I need to start making special popsicles for every kid.

I chose option #1.  I'm all about the Easy, lol.

So, without further ado, here is the recipe.  I recommend just going to your local big box store and buying all the ingredients in bulk.  You'll be making them all the time!

Black Cherry Cranberry PopsiclesIngredients
2 packets unflavored gelatin**
1/3 cup sugar-free syrup (I use Torani)**
splenda or other sugar-free sweetener, to taste
2 cups hot water
2 cups cold water
1/4 cup cranberry concentrate, not juice (like This)

Method
Combine the gelatin, syrup, cranberry concentrate and 2 cups hot water.  Stir until the gelatin has dissolved, and add sweeteners as desired.  Add remaining 2 cups water, and stir well.  Pour into popsicle molds and freeze.


**You can substitute 2 small boxes of sugar-free black cherry jello for the syrup and the gelatin.  The results will be slightly different, and less tart-sweet but still pretty tasty.

**You can also use 2 packets unflavored gelatin, 1 packet black cherry koolaid, and the sugar-free sweetener equilavent of aboout 1/2 cup sugar (more or less, to taste).  This would be a slightly more complicated, but (IMO) much tastier option than sugar-free jello.


Makes about 15 popsicles, depending on size of molds.  0 gms starch or maltose, about 3 gms carbohydrate per popsicle.


*this is why you'll start to see carb counts in addition to starch and/or maltose at the bottom of every recipe.  I refer to this blog for recipes all the time, and I only want to calculate it once!

No comments:

Post a Comment